Saturday, December 30, 2006

So, what is art?

This is quite a debate among a certain circle of artists I know. I am curious as to what the rest of you think. I am still struggling to come up with my own definition. Here's what I've got so far:

Art = intentional, creative expression toward the artist's purpose

That purpose may simply be the desire to create, or it may have an agenda such as expressing a belief or thought. It may be the artist's attempt to share him/her self or view point with those interested enough to contemplate. It may be a way to connect with others. The purpose may vary from piece to piece as well as from artist to artist.

Not much of a definition yet, but I'm working on it. Feel free to chime in with your thoughts on the topic. In the meantime, keep working on whatever art is yours to accomplish. We are, after all, created in the image of the Creator.

No comments: