Thursday, February 15, 2007

Thinking "Out Loud"

I was just sitting here feeling the urge to write something significant and life-changing...and having absolutely no idea where to begin.

I've had so many thoughts in my head over the last couple of years. I want to share them with you, but it may take awhile to get them all out in a way that won't warp your brain.

One realization I've been coming to is that my ignorance and/or lack of involvement in global issues really does matter. It's not even the "I'm only one person, what could I do?" argument. I just really haven't put any effort toward understanding what's really happening in the world, on a deeper level. What I do, or don't do, has a significant impact on people I will never meet.

I mean, who really thinks about where the chocolate came from that you buy to satisfy the craving? And yet, I've just learned (www.stopthetraffik.org) that there are very few "fair trade" chocolate companies around. Much of chocolate we consume comes from cocoa beans picked by the hands of children- children who are forced to work.

Sort of kills the craving, doesn't it?

Now, I don't know much about the subject- very little, in fact, but I plan to find out more. I hope to learn more so that I can choose more wisely, and lovingly, where to put my money and my voice. I'm sure, even with the knowledge, it will still be quite challenging to change my habits and tastes and attitudes, but I aim to try.

It is my hope and prayer that you will do your own investigations and share your findings with me. Perhaps together we can do even more to change the circumstances of so many lives in this world. Lives which we will most likely never encounter.

Is it worth giving up your favorite candy bar?

No comments: